Caramelized Onion Ingredients:
- 2 Sweet Onions – thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp butter or olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup balsamic Vinegar
Spring Potato Galette Ingredients:
- 1 sheet Frozen Puff Pastry Dough, thawed
- 4 Green Giant™ Fresh Gourmet™ Yellow Potatoes, very thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Caramelized Onions
- 1 1/4 cup grated Gruyere Cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup Asparagus, washed and trimmed, roughly chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 3 oz package Prosciutto
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- Everything Bagel Seasoning Blend
- Store-bought Hollandaise Sauce
- Fresh Dill
- 4 or more whole eggs
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add thinly sliced potatoes to a bowl and toss with 1 tbsp of olive oil to coat potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Carefully place thawed puff pastry dough on top of a floured surface and roll with a rolling pin to create a thinner and larger surface area. TIP: We rolled ours out to 11” by 13”.
- Transfer dough to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Using a fork, poke the surface of the pastry dough several times.
- TIP: When adding toppings to the pastry dough, leave a 1-2 inch border around the edges. The size of the border depends on how much of a ‘crust’ edge you want for your galette.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup grated gruyere cheese evenly onto the surface of the dough.
- Layer caramelized onions, chopped asparagus, prosciutto on top of the cheese. Then, sprinkle another 1/2 cup of cheese on top of these ingredients.
- Add potatoes in an even layer allowing potatoes to overlap, completing covering other ingredients.
- Fold the border edges of the puff pastry up and slightly over the toppings to create the crust. Press edges down to seal crust.
- Mix one egg with one tablespoon of water and brush the crust edges with egg wash. Season the entire galette with salt and pepper to taste. Note: if adding everything bagel seasoning to crust, add now before you bake.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 minutes until dough is very slightly golden.
- Remove galette from the oven and serve warm, garnish with fresh dill if desired.
- If add optional ingredients – add 4 (or more) eggs to the top of the galette. Return to the oven and broil for an additional 2-4 minutes or until egg whites have set. TIP: cover pastry crust with foil to prevent burning under the broiler.
- Remove from the oven and allow galette to cool for just a few minutes. Drizzle with hollandaise sauce, garnish with fresh dill, slice and serve.
Caramelized Onion Directions:
- In a large non-stick skillet, melt better over medium heat. Add onions, season with salt and pepper, and stir to coat onions in melted butter.
- Stirring occasionally, allow onions to cook until they turn a dark brown / caramel color ( about 45 minutes to an hour). If your pan becomes dry, add a tablespoon of butter or oil as needed. TIP: if you’re onions begin to crisp or burn, turn down the heat.
- Once your onions are caramelized, add balsamic vinegar and cook for five more minutes. Store in the fridge for up to five days.